BHEL places strong emphasis on innovation and creative development. The R&D efforts of the company are aimed not only at improving the performance and efficiency of existing products, but also developing new products using state-of-the-art technologies and processes, relevant to the needs of the country to remain current both in terms of technology and features vis-à-vis global benchmarks.
With its innovation-led growth strategy, BHEL continues to rank among the highest R&D spenders in the country in the engineering and manufacturing segment. During the year 2015-16, the R&D expenditure of the company was 3.34% of the turnover. 477 patents and copyrights were filed during the year 2015-16, enhancing the company's intellectual capital to 3,441.
The Corporate R&D division at Hyderabad leads BHEL's research efforts in a number of areas of importance to BHEL's product range. Research & Product Development (RPD) Groups for each product group at the manufacturing divisions play a complementary role.
BHEL has established 14 Centres of Excellence,
At Corporate R & D, Hyderabad
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Permanent Magnet Machines
- Surface Engineering
- Intelligent Machines and Robotics
- Machine Dynamics
- Compressors & Pumps
- UHV Laboratory
- Advanced Transmission Systems
At Electronics Division, Bengaluru
- Power Electronics and IGBT & Controller Technology
- Control & Instrumentation
At High Pressure Boiler Plant, Trichy
- Advanced Fabrication Technology
- Coal Research Centre
BHEL has also established four specialized institutes, viz., Welding Research Institute (WRI) at Tiruchirappalli, Ceramic Technological Institute (CTI) at Bengaluru, Centre for Electric Traction (CET) at Bhopal and Pollution Control Research Institute (PCRI) at Haridwar. Amorphous Silicon Solar Cell Plant at Gurgaon pursues R&D in Photo Voltaic applications.
BHEL's R&D and innovation have also won acclaim by way of awards and recognitions. Prominent among them are:
- India Today Award 2015 for Best R&D and Innovation in the Maharatna category
- CII Industrial Innovation Award 2015, awarded to the Top 25 Most Innovative Companies in India
- Thomson Reuters India Innovation Award 2015, awarded to the Top 50 Indian Innovator Companies and Research Organizations